[Python-Dev] What's New in 2.6 link wasn't what I expected

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 03:36:11 CEST 2008

skip at pobox.com wrote:
>>From this page:
>
>     http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6/
>
> I clicked the link labelled "What's new in Python 2.6rc2".  This didn't take
> me to the What's New page.  Instead it took me to:
>
>     http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6/NEWS.txt
>
> Seems a bit mislabelled if nothing else.

I agree - as Andrew suggested, it would probably be better if the What's
New? list for 2.6 was a bit more like the 2.5 list:
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5/

>  Poking around I see that the 2.5
> What's New document is at:
>
>     http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/whatsnew25.html

That actually rewrites the URL to the URL for the current docs (removing
the 'dev' part):
http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/whatsnew25.html

> but
>
>     http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/whatsnew26.html

The name was changed in the move to Sphinx for the docs - it's at:
http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.6.html

(Unlike the old What's New directory, or the current library directory
and so forth, that directory doesn't have an index entry defined, so
simply leaving out the file name detail doesn't currently do the right
thing - you get the directory listing instead of the what's new doco)

Cheers,
Nick.