[Python-Dev] What's New in 2.6 link wasn't what I expected

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Fri Sep 19 01:44:59 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 12:49:28AM +0200, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> > I clicked the link labelled "What's new in Python 2.6rc2".  This didn't take
> > me to the What's New page.  Instead it took me to:
> >
> >     http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6/NEWS.txt
> >
> > Seems a bit mislabelled if nothing else.
>
> How so? The first major heading in that file reads
>
> "What's New in Python 2.6 release candidate 2?"
>
> > Am I missing something?
>
> Perhaps reading the file that was linked might have helped.

I ran into this, too (and I did read the file that was linked to).  I
had expected to find the "What's New" page describing what was new in
Python 2.6, and I would have expected a "Release Notes" link to point to
the NEWS.txt page.  That's how things were in the past, anyway:

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.2/#what-s-new

It's a minor thing, but I did have to go hunt down the What's New file.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/