[Python-Dev] ',' precedence in documentation

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Sun Sep 14 23:04:39 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 10:59:23PM +0200, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
-> > Doesn't this change the behavior in optimized code, for assert
-> > statements with side effects?
->
-> That's why I said it will be a long discussion :-)
->
-> I would also propose the elimination of the -O option, and the notion
-> of optimized code. People who want to save the time for execution of the
-> assert statements could use some kind of source transformation, which
-> might be easy to implement with lib2to3 (or a generalization thereof).

I would very much like this.  I think it solves some problems in the
unittest-refactoring area, too, where we have a proliferation of
'assert*' functions that *don't* get removed by optimization.  (Hey,
does anyone want to discuss what color THAT bikeshed roof should be some
more? ;)  In any case, I would still like to be able to test my
optimized code by using assert, which isn't possible currently.

cheers,
--titus
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu