[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Proposed revised schedule

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Sep 9 02:50:52 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Christian Heimes <lists <at> cheimes.de> writes:
>>
>> Ok, from the marketing perspective it's a nice catch to release 2.6 and
>> 3.0 on the same day. "Python 2.6.0 and 3.0.0 released" makes a great
>> headline.
>
> It's not only the marketing. Having both releases in lock step means the
> development process is synchronized between trunk and py3k, that there is no
> loss of developer focus, and that merges/backports happen quite naturally.

I think that we've reached the point where very few things are merged
from 2.6 to 3.0 -- I see a lot more "block" commits than "merge"
commits lately. Also, the added activity in 3.0 doesn't involve merges
at all, because it's all 3.0-specific.

Sure, we lose the ability to add last-minute -3 warnings. But I think
that's a pretty minor issue (and those warnings have a tendency to
subtly break things occasionally, so we shouldn't do them last-minute
anyway).