[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Proposed revised schedule

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Tue Sep 9 02:11:49 CEST 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Well, from the number of release blockers it sounds like another 3.0
> beta is the right thing. For 2.6 however I believe we're much closer
> to the finish line -- there aren't all those bytes/str issues to clean
> up, for example! And apparently the benefit of releasing on schedule
> is that we will be included in OSX. That's a much bigger deal for 2.6
> than for 3.0 (I doubt that Apple would add two versions anyway).

I'm on Guido's side.

Ok, from the marketing perspective it's a nice catch to release 2.6 and
3.0 on the same day. "Python 2.6.0 and 3.0.0 released" makes a great
headline.
But given the chance to get Python 2.6 into the next OSX version it's
fine with me to release 3.0 a couple of weeks later. Python 3.0 is not
ready for a release candidate. We just fixed a bunch of memory leaks and
critical errors over the last week. And don't forget Windows! The
Windows builds didn't get thorough testing because we didn't provide our
tests with official builds.

I'm +1 for a 2.6rc and another beta of 3.0

Christian