[Python-Dev] bsddb alternative (was Re: [issue3769] Deprecate bsddb for removal in 3.0)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Sep 8 06:03:30 CEST 2008

> I thought that all that was happening was that BSDDB was becoming a
> separate project.  If one needs BSDDB with Python2.6, one installs it.

No, not in the way you mean it.

> Aren't there other parts of Python that require external modules, such as
> Tk?

It's different. BSDDB (the Sleepycat-then-Oracle implementation) never
was part of Python; this hasn't changed. What *has* changed is that
the bsddb module (i.e. the Python wrapper) is now not part of Python
anymore, either, due to it being maintained separately. This is as if
Tkinter was removed from Python.

Regards,
Martin