[Python-Dev] Python performance through times

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 17:56:11 CEST 2008

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Here's an interesting blog post comparing Python performance of various versions
> from 2.2.3 upto the latest 3.0 beta.
>
> http://www.ogre.com/node/147
>
> The fact that only Mandelbrot calculation (a hardly representative benchmark for
> a high-level dynamic language such as Python) has become significantly slower is
> rather a good sign IMO.

This comment makes the whole post fairly farcical though:

"I decided to not use pybench, but to take some of the benchmarks from
the Computer Language Benchmarks Game instead (hoping they are slightly
more "real use" realistic)."

>From what I can tell, the main graph is being dominated by the dramatic
mandelbrot slowdowns between 2.4 and 2.6, and that is heavy on the
complex arithmetic.

The numbers from pybench would have been far more enlightening.

Cheers,
Nick.