[Python-Dev] bsddb

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Thu Sep 4 20:03:13 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 07:40:28PM +0200, Jesus Cea wrote:
> A stable fileformat is useful for long term support, but an evolving
> format allows improvements.

   Once I upgraded Python on a Windows computer... I think it was 2.2 to
2.3 upgrade - and all my bsddb databases stopped working. I cannot call
this "improvement". I didn't have db_upgarde on that computer (or I didn't
know about it). Does PyBSDDB have db_upgrade in the distribution? Does
Python distribution have db_upgrade?

> Following your reasoning, Python should be
> keep in 1.0 era, for compatibility sake.

   Python? No. But persistent data structures? Yes! How many different
pickle data formats there were since Python 1.0? What is the oldest
pickle format modern Python can read? (Just using pickle as an example.)

> > -- SQLite implements a subset of SQL - a powerful query language;
>
> Yes, a declarative language completely unrelated to Python.

   Sometimes being unrelated to Python is advantage. Written in C,
optimized for its tasks, the implementation of the query language
certainly can outperform Python.

> Using a SQL storage to save persistent
> Python objects is ugly

   No more ugly than any other storage. A matter of taste, I think.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru