[Python-Dev] bsddb alternative (was Re: [issue3769] Deprecate bsddb for removal in 3.0)

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Sep 4 18:39:19 CEST 2008

> I have to say I've never had problems with a stock install of Python on
> either Mac OS X or Windows (shockingly enough :).  I think this is good

I agree.  I just use the stock Python on OS X and Windows.  And it
seems to work well for my rather large and complicated (PIL, PyLucene,
Medusa, ReportLab, SSL, email-4) application.  Clearly Windows, with
its somewhat complicated PATH and DLL issues, might be problematic,
but I haven't seen that yet.

> advice for applications that rely on external libraries, but I just
> don't see any problems with relying on Python 2.5 to contain all the
> things that normally come with Python 2.5.  It seems like you're
> pushing a pretty sharp dichotomy (trichotomy?) --

Yeah, but this is just some random guy on the Python mailing list
(Tony, I apologize for not knowing who you are).  No need to take it
too seriously.

> but it does validate my decade-old decision to
> avoid writing end-user applications in Python, sadly enough.

Well, I don't do that either, but it's because of Python's lack of a
decent built-in GUI toolkit.  Sad.

Bill