[Python-Dev] bsddb alternative (was Re: [issue3769] Deprecate bsddb for removal in 3.0)

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Thu Sep 4 16:29:10 CEST 2008

At 6:10 AM -0500 9/4/08, skip at pobox.com wrote:
>    >> Related but tangential question that we were discussing on the
>    >> pygr[0] mailing list -- what is the "official" word on a scalable
>    >> object store in Python?  We've been using bsddb, but is there an
>    >> alternative?  And what if bsddb is removed?
>
>    Brett> Beyond shelve there are no official plans to add a specific
>    Brett> object store.
>
>Unless something has changed while I wasn't looking, shelve requires a
>concrete module under the covers: bsddb, gdbm, ndbm, dumbdbm.  It's just a
>thin layer over one of them that makes it appear as if you can have keys
>which aren't strings.

I thought that all that was happening was that BSDDB was becoming a
separate project.  If one needs BSDDB with Python2.6, one installs it.
Aren't there other parts of Python that require external modules, such as
Tk?  Using Tk requires installing it.  Such things are normally packaged by
each distro the same way as Python is packaged ("yum install tk bsddb").

Shipping an application to end users is a different problem.  Such packages
should include a private copy of Python as well as of any dependent
libraries, as tested.