[Python-Dev] [issue3769] Deprecate bsddb for removal in 3.0

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Thu Sep 4 01:41:32 CEST 2008

I think this should be deferred to Py3.1.

This decision was not widely discussed and
I think it likely that some users will
be surprised and dismayed.  The release
candidate seems to be the wrong time to
yank this out (in part because of the surprise
factor) and in part because I think the change
silently affects shelve performance so that the
impact may be significantly negative but not
readily apparent.

We don't have to take this out.  So why do
it hastily at the last minute and without some
discussion on comp.lang.python at least.

If it were any other release, we would have
disciplined ourselves to deprecate first and
remove a generation or two later.

Also, the reason for removal may yet disappear
if jcrea steps in an continues to make updates.

Also, the referenced note ( http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2008-July/081379.html )
say to "start end-of-lifing it" which I took to mean deprecate rather than remove during a release candidate.

Raymond