[Python-Dev] Add python.exe to PATH environment variable

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 15:46:29 CEST 2008

On 03/09/2008, Thomas Heller <theller at ctypes.org> wrote:
> >  > Perhaps we could have an option to place a "python.bat"
> >  > into C:\Windows\ or C:\Windows\System\.
> >
> > Except you still have the "last in wins" issue, and you have to make a
> > decision on whether or not to delete the file.
>
> If this is done the batch file should be named "python25.bat" or so
> depending on the version.

Bat files don't work when called from another bat file. This hits me
regularly, when people supply wrapper bat files. Example:

myscript.bat:
@echo off
do some stuff
python my_py_script.py
do some more stuff

If "python" is a bat file, "do some more stuff" will never get run
(you need to say "call python" to allow bat files to nest).

-1 (or stronger!) on a bat file.

If it goes in anyway, make it optional and off by default. The
confusion and wasted time caused by bat files "stopping" part way
through is FAR worse than that caused by having to manage PATH for
yourself.

Paul.

PS If anyone knows a *good* way of writing wrapper scripts on Windows
which doesn't suffer from the bat file nesting problem above, please
let me (and the rest of the world!) know!