[Python-Dev] Add python.exe to PATH environment variable

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Sep 3 04:22:55 CEST 2008

> Mark Hammond <mhammond <at> skippinet.com.au> writes:
> > >
> > > The reason for adding the directory to the PATH is for it to be
> > > recognized in any command prompt, not only the Python-dedicated
> > > command prompt shortcut.
> >
> > Actually, that is *your* reason for adding it to the global path.
>
> What do you mean? Are there other practical reasons than the above for
> adding the directory to the PATH?

My point was that it applies to much more than command-prompts.  There are
pratical reasons for adding entries to your global PATH that don't include
the ability to run executables at the command-line.

> What do you mean by "get confused about the files that might appear in
> those directories"?

I mean that many Windows use the PATH, and as such, may fail if a new
directory is added to the PATH that contains a DLL they indirectly use.

I don't need any program *except* a command-prompt to be able to locate a
'python.exe', so I arrange for only command-prompts to have their PATH setup
that way.  If I *did* expect other programs to be able to find a
'python.exe', I'm not sure I'd want to risk that installing a later version
of Python will change what Python is found.

Cheers,

Mark