[Python-Dev] Further PEP 8 compliance issues in threading and multiprocessing

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Mon Sep 1 17:00:14 CEST 2008

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 09:42:06 -0500, Benjamin Peterson <musiccomposition at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Is this just intended to discourage subclassing? If so, why give the
>>> misleading impression that these things can be subclassed by naming them
>>> as if they were classes?
>>>
>>> How should this be handled when it comes to the addition of PEP 8
>>> compliant aliases?
>>
>> I don't see a problem for trivial functional wrappers to classes to be
>> capitalized like classes. So I'd suggest option 3: leave it as-is. Otherwise
>> option 2 (replace the wrappers with the actual classes) has my preference.
>
>Yes, I believe that pretending that functions are classes is a fairly
>common idiom in the stdlib and out, so I see no problem leaving them
>alone. We haven't had any complaints about the threading Event
>function yet either. :)

Here's a complaint.  It's surprising that you can't use Event et al with
isinstance.  This is something I'm sure a lot of people run into (I did,
many years ago) when they start to use these APIs.  Once you do figure
out why it doesn't work, it's not clear how to do what you want, since
_Event is private.

Jean-Paul