[Python-Dev] My patches

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 17:09:00 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't see how a DVCS will fix anything.  The bottleneck is in
>> assessing patches for inclusion in the master tree; not enough people
>> are doing that.  We'd just end up with lots of proposed branches
>> waiting to be merged, instead of patches to be applied.
>
> Agreed. There are lots of patches around, but not enough core dev
> man-hours to review and apply them. As just adding extra people as
> core devs isn't going to work (I don't believe it's *hard* to become a
> core dev at the moment, it just needs a level of commitment that many
> people can't offer), and as adding hours to the day isn't possible
> (hmm, Guido - about that time machine?) I think the best way of
> helping is with patch triage.

Since it is a hard and long process  "to know it all"  in Python, and
to become a core developer

What about having two level of devs ?

+ core developers
+ standard library developers

I mean, the standard library could be open ihmo to a wider range of people,
or maybe even having people specialized in some packages, modules, even
if they don't know anything about the C apis of the core.

Those "standard library developers" could be blessed to work on
specific areas of the standard
library and "followed" by a core developer that can just make sure
everything goes in the right direction
without having too much extra work for that.

Regards,
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org