[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Backporting multiprocessing?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 11:06:13 CEST 2008

Christian Heimes wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> As Jesse points out, some of that robustness comes from long-standing
>> bugs in the core getting fixed as a result of the addition of the
>> multiprocessing unit tests to the standard library test suite.
>>
>> Not trying to discourage the project, just pointing out that it may not
>> be as effective as hoped without patching the older versions of the
>> interpreter.
>
> Oh h...
> Are you able to recall a list of the most important bug fixes? Maybe we
> can get the bug fixes into 2.5.3 before it's too late.

The one Jesse linked in his python-dev post was the one that blocked it
the longest:
http://bugs.python.org/issue874900

However, if I'm reading the discussion in the tracker correctly, the fix
was applied to all 3 branches (2.5, trunk, 3k). So it is only people
using versions <= 2.5.2 that will suffer that particular problem.

I think there were a couple of others as well, but it would take a trawl
through the py3k mailing list archives to figure out what they were (I'm
pretty sure Jesse posted a list of the issues that needed to be fixed to
get the multiprocessing unit tests passing reliably).

Cheers,
Nick.