[Python-Dev] python dll no longer in system directory?

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc amauryfa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 11:40:30 CEST 2008

2008/10/8 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
> Thomas Heller wrote:
>> Is it intended that python30.dll and python26.dll are not longer
>> installed in the \windows\system32 directory?
>
> No, it's not. Please create a bug report (or, better, study the
> msiexec logs, and msi.py, to find out why this happens).
>
> I might not have time to look into this before the next release
> candidate.

I confirm this. The following lines in msi.py seem to be the cause of
the change:

    #dlldir = PyDirectory(db, cab, root, srcdir, "DLLDIR", ".")
    #install python30.dll into root dir for now
    dlldir = root

They were added by r61109: " Bundle msvcr90.dll as a "private assembly". "
but I don't know if simply restoring the previous value will work in every case:
If the C Run-Time is installed "privately", then python26.dll must
stay in c:\python26.

--
Amaury Forgeot d'Arc