[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Proposed Python 3.0 schedule

Facundo Batista facundobatista at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 14:20:23 CEST 2008

2008/10/6 Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com>:

>> 15-Oct-2008 3.0 beta 4
>> 05-Nov-2008 3.0 rc 2
>> 19-Nov-2008 3.0 rc 3
>> 03-Dec-2008 3.0 final
>>
>> Given what still needs to be done, is this a reasonable schedule?  Do  we
>> need two more betas?
>
> Yes to both questions.

I agree with you here.

> I'm seeing that people are just starting to download and play with 3.0.
> I expect that we'll start getting more feedback on conversion issues,
> the C API, screwy interactions with operating systems, bytes/text issues,
> unanticipated interactions with other tools, etc.  Each user will stress
> it in new ways and perhaps reveal a bunch of little integration issues
> and documentation issues.  Those little fixups way go a long way toward
> establishing a good first impression and reputation for 3.0 from the outset.

And maybe also here, but bounded.

I don't want to keep deferring 3.0 months and months, I prefer to have
a redesigned schedule now, and stick to it as much as possible, even
if the 3.0 version is not as robust as we would want.

Regards,

--
.    Facundo

PyAr: http://www.python.org/ar/