[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] New proposition for Python3 bytes filename issue

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed Oct 1 00:05:22 CEST 2008

On  30-Sep-2008, at 23:42 , Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> It's the other way 'round: On Windows, Unicode file names are the
> natural choice, and byte strings have limitations. In a sense, Windows
> got it right - but then, they started later. Unix missed the
> opportunity
> of declaring that all file APIs are UTF-8 (except for Plan-9 and OS X,
> neither being "true" Unix).

How does windows (and Python on windows) handle NFC versus NFD issues?
Can I have two files called "ümlaut.txt", one in NFD and one NFC form?
And are both of those representable on the Python side (i.e. can they
both be returned from listdir() and passed to open())? CIf I compare
these two filenames, do they compare differently?
Goldman