[Python-Dev] Python for windows.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Nov 27 05:29:27 CET 2008

Mark Hammond wrote:

> BTW - isn't there also a "\Program Files" requirement...?

The requirement as I read it is that /Program Files be the over-rideable
*default*, as is normal for Windows programs.  HP installed 2.2 on my
machine in /Python2.2.  Since HP does the installation, I presume they
can override the default if they wish.

The current Python installers are unusual for Windows in having the
default be anything else.  I personally am now putting Python in
/Programs along with other development tools whose directory tree I need
to access, so it matters not to me.

If HP is happy with stock installs after 10 years, they must not have a
severe problem with uninstalls.  The one suggestion I have for HP, now
that we have a reps attention, is that they add a README.txt file to the
Python directory that explains what is it, why it should not be
uninstalled, and where to get more info about how the user can use this
bonus feature of having bought an HP machine ;-).

Terry