[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] 2.6.1 and 3.0

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Nov 26 23:38:54 CET 2008

> Merge Modules into your installation
> Create self-contained MSI packages, by including and configuring the
> required merge modules.

Right. Still, if people want to go this route (I personally don't),
I think it would be useful to build an installer from the free edition.
You can then run Tools/msi/merge.py, which adds the CRT merge module
into the MSI file (mostly as-is, except for discarding the ALLUSERS
property from that merge module). Alternatively, for testing, you can
just assume that the CRT is already installed.

When we then have a script that generates a mostly-complete installer,
I'm sure Giovanni would be happy to add support for the CRT merge
module to see how the tool fares (my expectation is that it breaks,
as I assume it just doesn't deal with the embedded ALLUSERS property
correctly - merge.py really uses a bad hack here).

Regards,
Martin