[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] 2.6.1 and 3.0

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Wed Nov 26 22:50:09 CET 2008

On mer, 2008-11-26 at 21:03 +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> > I'm sure the
> > Python Software Foundation would easily get a free license of one of the
> > good commercial MSI installer generators.
>
> Can you recommend a specific one?

I've had good results with Advanced Installer:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/feats-list.html

It does support 64-bit packages, and it uses a XML file as input. It
supports Vista and UAC, per-user and per-machine install, registry
modification, environment variables, upgrades/downgrades/side installs,
online installs. And it's free as in beer. The commercial version has
many more features, but I don't think Python needs them.

But the basic idea is that this tool totally abstracts the MSI details.
I know *nothing* of MSI but I'm fully able to use this tool and produce
installers with more features than those I notice within Python's
installer.
--
Giovanni Bajo
Develer S.r.l.