[Python-Dev] Optionally using GMP to implement long if available

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Sun Nov 16 00:17:45 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. On platforms that support it, this is at least 64x64->64 multiplication,
>   potentially much more expensive than the 32x32->64 (or 31x31->62?)
>   flavor you /intend/ to move to.

Thats a good point, thanks!

I am not averse to including a tiny bit of platform (i386) specific
inline asm (in its own header file as a macro to make it easy to
maintain and easy to turn off and easy to add versions for someone
elses favorite 32bit platform) to get that when compiled to use 30bit
digits since the C language has no way to express it directly.

-gps