[Python-Dev] Looking for VCS usage scenarios

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 12:45:55 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd expect any DVCS to be able to handily beat what I currently do with SVN:

Yes, it does. I have extensive experience in bzr, less in git (but
vastly prefer it since I have been using it), and both are relatively
good for this kind of scenario.

In git, you can for example create a new branch (often called feature
branch, also technically, it is just a branch):

git co -b newbranch1 # Create new branch1 and go into it
# hack, commit
git cb -n newbranch2 # create new branch2
# More hacking
git co newbranch1 # go back to branch 1

It can be more elaborate than that, using stash to set uncommitted
changes, rebase to update your changes on the top of the last revision
of the main branch you are tracking (trunk in svn parlance). Bzr is
similar, except that it is more commands to switch from branch to
branch; bzr has the shelve command to do as git stash. You can also
use loom, but I never used them extensively (loom are a plugin
extension of bzr, and not well documented; I could not understand it,
at least, although I did not try too hard).

cheers,

David