[Python-Dev] Looking for VCS usage scenarios

Cosmin Stejerean cstejerean at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 19:21:05 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>  This is true.  Performance is not everything to everyone.  Most Bazaar
>> users don't care at all; they say things like "who cares about a few
>> seconds in bzr log when it gets the merge right almost every time".
>> But we don't yet know that most Python core developers will feel the
>> same way, and it simply is not appropriate at this point in time to
>> dismiss performance concerns with "oh, I'm sure they all can scale."
>>

> We're Python programmers.  We're used to people telling us our tool is too
> slow.  We just say it does the job superbly and it's usually fast enough. :)
>
> - -Barry

I don't agree with completely dismissing performance just because it's
Python. Yes, Python is fast enough most of the time, but when it's not we
put a lot of effort into making it faster. That's why we have a good
collection of modules with C extensions to speed up computationally
intensive applications and half a dozen ways of writing said C extensions. I
see no excuse to let the fact that it's Python make it acceptable to have an
application with otherwise unacceptable performance.

--
Cosmin Stejerean
http://www.offbytwo.com