[Python-Dev] Looking for VCS usage scenarios

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 17:14:24 CET 2008

2008/11/4 Gustavo Niemeyer <gustavo at niemeyer.net>:
> How large?  Which repositories?  Which operations?  Which version of Bazaar?

As large as the Python repository. The Python repository (:-)). Local
clone of the repo, when not using a shared repository (I know, "don't
do that" - but it is nevertheless a specific performance complaint
which I have, relating to the way I want to work with a DVCS). About
1.6. I can't recall precisely which version I tried, but it was fairly
recent.

> I'm sorry for jumping up on this, but you've mentioned one specific
> issue, which is being looked at, and then have generalized here.
> Without naming the issues, it's really hard to discuss anything.  It
> is true that Bazaar performance was much worse in the past, and it is
> true that it's being improved, and will continue to improve.  In case
> Bazaar is a good deal for Python nowadays, it should only get better
> over time.

There is a serious danger that this discussion will degenerate into
DVCS advocacy flamewars. Can I suggest that for now, we concentrate on
describing what operations are needed, in abstract terms. I applaud
Brett's initial stance that we need to look at what we need to do
based on workflow right now - it avoids focussing too much on "how my
DVCS has neat feature X which is self-evidently wonderful" arguments
(note - I am not saying that Gustavo is doing that, just that things
could go that way).

Once we have the core workflow covered, *then* would be a sensible
time to look very cautiously at features of a generic DVCS which
*might* be useful. But let's be conservative here - after all, there
is effort in simply replicating the python-checkins email hooks, and
expecting people to have the time to add new customisations as well,
could be a significant issue.

Hmm, having said all this, one huge benefit of any DVCS is the ability
for individuals to work on changes offline with full version control
(the well-known downside being that people don't publish changes as
soon as they should). Two thoughts come from that:

1. Availability of an easy-to-use location for random users to publish
branches would be an important factor.
2. The option to easily set up a bidirectional gateway to other DVCSs
might be beneficial to some users.

The nice thing about both of these is that they *don't* have to be
provided by python.org, as long as they are available.

Paul.

PS I still haven't found time to read Brett's PEP. Sorry. I will
before giving into the temptation to add further to this thread. I
promise!