[Python-Dev] Looking for VCS usage scenarios

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Mon Nov 3 23:38:45 CET 2008

> Both. First and foremost I am looking for any scenarios people are
> using now for svn that I didn't cover. After that I can probably add
> some DVCS-specific things. But the problem with that is my DVCS
> experience is limited and thus I don't want to add a scenario that

So try to listen to people that actually use these tools and are
trying to help you.

> seems whizbang cool but in real life is never used; premature
> optimization and all that.

As I mentioned early in my mail, all the scenarios I described were
specifically meant to expose common situations that we go through in
our workflow.  I'm not picking weird things to try favoring any
specific tool, even because I believe all tools should support these
very basic desires.

> As I said, one of the scenarios already says patches can be whatever
> the DVCS supports the best; plain diffs, branches, etc. And the
> comments for that scenario will point out any perks from that feature.

"""
This scenario to meant to represent the steps required for a non-core
developer who has a one-off patch they want to create from a read-only
checkout.
"""

Ok, so would you mind to expand that to describe that the tool should
send the history of the "one-off patch", and what it means to not send
it?

Otherwise you're really comparing oranges and apples.  If I send you
"svn diff" or "bzr diff", you get a plain diff.  Merging this will not
carry the history of who made the chances, what were the incremental
steps, and will handle conflicts without context, which may be way
more boring to perform than when you actually have full history
information.  That's not the same as using "bzr send".

Again, that's a real world situation, not something I'm making up to
favor bzr.  I'm pretty sure hg should have something similar too (and
git does for sure).

> As for the "via mail" feature, I use Gmail so it doesn't mean anything to me. =)

Please ask Tim to teach you how the "mail" word got in "Gmail".  ;-)

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net