[Python-Dev] Looking for VCS usage scenarios

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Nov 3 19:05:15 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 09:58, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:
> -> Sticking with a dvcs implemented in Python makes the best sense,
> -> especially when you consider the plugin architecture.  When we
> -> selected a new tracker, we didn't make implementation in Python a
> -> requirement, but instead a high hurdle.  Meaning, if a tracker wasn't
> -> written in Python it had to be way better than those written in Python.
>
> I worry about the idea of hacking in any way, shape or form, on the
> version control system used to maintain the Python source code.  I place
> VCSes at the compiler- or OS-level of the toolchain, because you have
> the option of fundamentally screwing up the entire project by playing
> with them.
>
> So from that perspective it's better to keep it *out* of Python to
> remove the temptation to hack :)

I don't expect us to hack on the VCS itself. I am thinking more like
plug-ins commit hooks, etc.; the infrastructure around the VCS.

> -> As for dvcs, I think git would have to show overwhelming advantage
> -> over bzr or hg to be considered.
>
> I personally have found git very, very powerful and good, albeit
> difficult to learn

You can say that again. And that is a worry to me. Python gets patches
from people of all skill levels where ease of use for the VCS needs to
be considered. The Linux kernel probably doesn't get as many patches
from newbies as the barrier of entry is higher to contribute.

I have yet to have met anyone who thinks git is great while having
used another DVCS as extensively (and I mean I have never found
someone who has used two DVCSs extensively).

>.  It is guaranteed to scale (unless Python gets to be
> significantly bigger and more active than Linux, at any rate) and it has
> a large, very technically capable, and supported user community already.

I think any of the DVCSs will scale. But I will be taking some
performance numbers so scalability will be taken into consideration.

> I think there are reasons why git should be at least strongly
> considered.

Well, we will see, but as of right now my use of git has left a nasty
taste in my mouth that will take a lot of proverbial mouthwash to get
rid of and allow it to be considered in this PEP.

-Brett