[Python-Dev] Using Cython for standard library?

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Mon Nov 3 15:15:32 CET 2008

Calvin Spealman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Gerhard Häring <gh at ghaering.de> wrote:
>> Stefan Behnel wrote:
>>> In the same line, moving more extensions to a high-level language like
>>> Cython,
>>> instead of writing them in straight C, would make a later switch to a
>>> different environment a lot easier, as the extensions could be regenerated
>>> with a modified Cython compiler (obviously minus some fixing of premature
>>> optimisations and the like).
>> Is using Cython for anything in Modules/ really an option? In my limited
>> experiments with it, I did like it.
>>
>> But using it for Python standard library stuff doesn't look quite right to
>> me:
>>
>> - Option 1: distribute Cython with Python and integrate into build process
>> -- Ouch!
>
> Can you be a bit more descriptive?

Cython is still being worked on (intensively, it seems). Bundling it
with Python means deciding on a particular version probably for an
entire major release lifecycle (use Cython x.y.{newest} for Python 2.7,
for example).

>> - Option 2: only distribute generated source files
>> -- developers still need to have Cython installed
>> -- you have to trust Cython; who will really review the generated code?
>
> Who reviews the machine code from gcc?

That's comparing apples and eggs :-P But it may be that I'm a little
paranoid here.

> I would love to see the option to write the lower levels in something
> other than C,

Absolutely. That's why I tried to reimplement pysqlite in something
easier to maintain than handwritten Python C API. There's a ctypes-based
version in its Mercurial repository that's good enough to be used from
PyPy now. And a started Cython-based one.

> but obviously any choice would have to be a good one.
> [...]  So, the question I see isn't if Cython should be
> allowed for standard library modules, but if the landscape of such
> solutions is at a point that any of them is ready to be committed to.

ACK.

-- Gerhard