[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Stabilizing the C API of 2.6 and 3.0

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue May 27 13:54:26 CEST 2008

On 2008-05-27 12:56, Thomas Heller wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg schrieb:

>>> The last time I brought up the topic, I had a lengthy discussion
>>> with Guido. At first I wanted to rename the API in Python 3.0 only.
>>> Guido argued that it's going to cause too much merge conflicts. He
>>> then suggested the approach I implemented today.
>> That's the same argument that came up in the module renaming
>> discussion.
>>
>> I have a feeling that we should be looking for better merge tools,
>> rather than implement code changes that cause more trouble than do
>> good, just because our existing tools aren't smart enough.
>
> There are applications out there that dynamically import the python dll
> and link to the exported functions by name; they will all break.

The exported APIs still use the old names. Just the source code
versions of the APIs change to the new names and they now live
in different files as well.

> I believe in the past we have been more carefull with changes like these.
> Even when python api functions were turned into cpp macros, we provided
> exported functions for them; for a few examples see the function definitions
> near line 1778 in file Python/pythonrun.c .

IMO, we should keep using that strategy for Python 2.x.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 27 2008)
2008-07-07: EuroPython 2008, Vilnius, Lithuania            40 days to go