[Python-Dev] Importing bsddb 4.6.21; with or without AES encryption?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu May 22 22:23:09 CEST 2008

> I guess we need first all buildbots updated to 4.7.25 before changing
> the setup.py to support BDB 4.7, to avoid no updated ones linking
> against (old) buggy 4.6 releases.

Why do you think so? Updating all buildbots is not feasible, atleast not
within this year.

Some machines *intentionally* stay at old software, just to make sure
Python continues to build.

Would pybsddb 4.7 continue to build with all bsddb releases that it
currently builds with?

> Reading the buildbot outputs, I see some machines using "ancient" BDB
> versions. For example, "amd64 gentoo trunk" uses 4.4.x. Would be nice to
> know the exact release :-).

Feel free to temporarily commit code to make it find out - either
directly in the trunk, or by making a temporary branch and have that
branch be built on the particular slave only.

> This is interesting, because a buildbot using a DBD < 4.7 will not
> exercise the module at full capacity, so buildbot value is, somewhat,
> reduced.

That's a matter of standpoint. It also tests whether the module works
and passes its test suite with older releases, which is a good thing.
So it's more valuable to have old releases on some slaves, rather than
having them test all the same version (which is known to work in
principle, anyway).

> I would hate to find problems in Python beta releases because the
> buildbots are outdated :(

Don't worry, some slaves will surely have the latest version, at
some point (if none else, the Windows ones will).

Regards,
Martin