[Python-Dev] Importing bsddb 4.6.21; with or without AES encryption?

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Thu May 22 08:06:22 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Trent Nelson <tnelson at onresolve.com> wrote:
>> Trent Nelson wrote:
>> | Gah.  I just went and visited the Berkeley DB download site as
>> | I was preparing my commit message so I could refer to the
>> | exact .tar.gz being imported, only to notice that the latest
>> | version is now 4.7.25.  Jesus, can we use this version?
>>
>> Err.... No.
>>
>> It is not clear to me that python 2.6/3.0 will be published with BDB 4.6
>> or 4.7 support. 4.6 has several known issues, apparently solved in 4.7.
>
>    I could have sworn I heard a few people mention that "4.5 has issues,
>    but they're solved in 4.6" at PyCon ;-)

The line I was giving at PyCon was "4.6 has issues, we might want to
stick with 4.5" which is why I left setup.py limiting itself to (4, 5)
despite the code being compatible with 4.6.

Maybe 4.7 fixes the 4.6 issues; that was a quick release cycle.  I
haven't given it a whirl at all.  I'll try to do that this weekend.
But really all I'm doing with it at this point is running the bsddb.db
test suite on OS X and Linux and if my build environment is working
and I might try that as well.  If it passes the entire test suite
several times on windows x86 and amd64 builds when built with
BerkeleyDB 4.7 (once Jesus commits the support code) I'm inclined to
say we should ship with it and only revert back to 4.5 if someone has
problems with it during a beta.

>> I keep a private branch in pybsddb for BDB 4.7 support, waiting for
>> Oracle publication. Since they already pushed 4.7.25 out (no pre warning
>> for bindings developers, too bad!), I think I can publish pybsddb 4.7.0
>> in a couple of days. That done, I will update python version.

Since 4.7.x is apparently out  I suggest going ahead and committing
the changes necessary to allow it to build and link against 4.7
regardless of if thats the version we use.  No sense in holding back
support for compiling.

-gps