[Python-Dev] Issue 643841: Including a new-style proxy base class in 2.6/3.0

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed May 21 11:41:42 CEST 2008

Fred Drake wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> So what do people think of including a ProxyBase implementation in 2.6
>> and 3.0 that explicitly delegates all of the C-level slots to a
>> designated target instance?
>

> On May 20, 2008, at 7:55 PM, Greg Ewing wrote:
>> Sounds good to me.
>
> Same here.  There's an implementation in zope.proxy which might be
> useful as a starting point:

While a proxy class written in C would no doubt be faster than one
written in Python, one of the things I'm hoping to achieve is for the
stdlib generic proxy to serve as an example for people writing their own
new-style proxy classes in addition to being usable as a base class
(Adam Olsen suggested ProxyMixin instead of ProxyBase as a possible name).

One other issue is where to put it - none of the existing stdlib modules
seemed appropriate, so my sample implementation in the tracker issue
just invents a new 'typetools' module.

Cheers,
Nick.