[Python-Dev] Addition of "pyprocessing" module to standard lib.

Leif Walsh adlaiff6 at gmail.com
Tue May 20 20:03:48 CEST 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Bill Janssen wrote:

> > > This is certainly a point of view.  One that many end-users wouldn't
> > > understand :-).
> >
> > Perhaps, but it's clear-cut. Is OS X not properly supported because it
> > can't run the _winreg module? I just don't like labeling a platform as
> > unsupported just because ctypes doesn't compile on it.
>
> I assume _winreg runs everywhere Python is said to run, and there's a
> Windows registry to examine, so I think it's a different kettle of
> fish.  ctypes doesn't run everywhere Python is said to run, and there
> are dynamic libraries to call into.
>
> I think it would be great if we could get some AIX, HP-UX, and Solaris
> boxes for Thomas to work on.  What would motivate IBM, H-P, and Sun to
> donate such gear?  Perhaps each of the companies have an office
> somewhere that could help with this resource allocation?  For
> instance, talking to the "AIX Collaboration Center" of IBM
> (aixcc at us.ibm.com)?
>
> And these are all SYSV derivatives, aren't they?  So perhaps it's some
> common fix for all three?

I just spent a semester in "Advanced Systems Programming in Unix/C",
and all we did was port old software to solaris, hpux, irix, and
friends (I don't think we used AIX, but I believe he has one running).
Most of these were virtual machines, but they adequately represented
the annoyances present in their respective architectures.

I've cc'd my professor, hopefully he will let me know if there are any
tips he has for setting up a VM.

--
Cheers,
Leif