[Python-Dev] Module renaming and pickle mechanisms

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun May 18 00:22:35 CEST 2008

Alexandre Vassalotti wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 5:05 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>
>>Object serialization protocols like e.g. pickle usually store the
>>complete module path to the object class together with the object.
>
> The opposite problem exists for Python 3.0, too.

This is just one manifestation of what I consider a
serious shortcoming of the pickle format for long-term
storage: it ties the data to implementation details
of the program.

When I brought this up earlier, various people assured
me that it wasn't a problem in practice. I think we're
seeing one situation here where it *is* a problem.

--
Greg