[Python-Dev] Symbolic errno values in error messages

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Fri May 16 16:38:56 CEST 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008 00:15:23 +1000, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
>>Yannick Gingras <ygingras <at> ygingras.net> writes:
>>>2) Where can I find the symbolic name in C?
>>
>>Use standard C library char* strerror(int errnum) function.   You can see
>>an example usage in Modules/posixmodule.c (posix_strerror).
>
>I don't believe that would provide adequate Windows support.

It's not C, but maybe it's interesting to look at anyway:

http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/trunk/twisted/python/win32.py?rev=21682#L94

However, neither strerror nor the linked code gives out symbolic names for
errnos.  They both produce messages like "Interrupted system call", whereas
the symbolic name would be "EINTR".  Modules/errnomodule.c might be worth
looking at, although its solution is somewhat disappointing.

Jean-Paul