[Python-Dev] Addition of "pyprocessing" module to standard lib.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed May 14 19:29:06 CEST 2008

> In the scientific world, MPI is the standard API of choice for doing
> parallel processing, so if we're after standards, supporting MPI
> would seem to be more attractive than the processing module.
>
>     http://pypi.python.org/pypi/mpi4py

Of course, for MPI, pyprocessing's main functionality (starting new
activities) isn't needed - you use the vendor's mpirun binary, which
will create as many processes as you wish, following a policy that
was set up by the cluster administration, or that you chose in a
product-specific manner (e.g. what nodes to involve in the job).

If my task was high-performance computing, I would indeed use MPI
and ignore pyprocessing.

> In the enterprise world, you often find CORBA based solutions.
>
>     http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/

Same here: I would prefer CORBA of pyprocessing when I want a
componentized, distributed application.

> And then, of course, you have a gazillion specialized solutions
> such as PyRO:
>
>     http://pyro.sourceforge.net/

I personally would not use that library, although I know others
are very fond of it.

Regards,
Martin