[Python-Dev] Addition of "pyprocessing" module to standard lib.

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Wed May 14 18:39:23 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 08:06:15AM -0400, Jesse Noller wrote:

> Overwhelmingly, many of the python programmers I spoke to are looking
> for "a solution" that does not require the alteration of a known
> programming paradigm (i.e: threads) to allow them to take advantage of
> systems which are not getting "faster" - instead, they are getting
> wider. Simply put due to the GIL - pure python applications can not
> take advantage of these machines which are now more common than not
> without switching to an alternative interpreter - which for many -
> myself included - is not an attractive option.

On Newegg, there are currently 15 single core processors listed, but
there are 57 dual core processors and 52 quad core processors.  By the
time Python 2.6 comes out, it will be hard to buy a new computer without
multiple cores.  In my opinion, the sooner Python has a nice simple
library for inter-process communication, the better.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/