[Python-Dev] How best to handle the docs for a renamed module?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon May 12 05:17:35 CEST 2008

On a sunny day, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> For the sake of argument, let's consider the Queue module. It is now
> named queue. For 2.6 I plan on having both Queue and queue listed in
> the index, with Queue deprecated with instructions to use the new
> name.
>
> But what to do about all the references. Should we leave them pointing
> at Queue to lessen confusion for people who read about some module on
> some other site that isn't using the new name, or update everything in
> 2.6 to use the new name?

I'd say use the new names, so people can get used to them sooner --
otherwise all you do is postpone the confusion until they're going to
use 3.0. People who've only head of Queue will be fine as long as
searching for Queue in the index and TOC will find them a pointer to
queue (and that one has a "versionadded 2.6 -- renamed from Queue"
note).