[Python-Dev] Adding start to enumerate()

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Mon May 12 03:23:01 CEST 2008

Brett Cannon wrote:
> Taking a new argument that has a default shouldn't be an issue. +1
> from me. I assume it is just going to start the count at that number,
> not advance the iterable to that point, right?

I wonder if it would be best for it to be a keyword-only argument. So
many of the utility functions on iterables are foo(*iterables) that I
might be inclined to think enumerate(foo, bar) is equivalent to
enumerate(chain(foo, bar)), but enumerate(foo, start=bar) is pretty
obvious. And if you consider that the enumeration is prepended to the
values of foo, enumerate(foo, bar) is "backwards." Just saying..

-Scott

--
Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com