[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r62848 - python/trunk/Objects/setobject.c

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu May 8 16:14:55 CEST 2008

On Thu, 8 May 2008 10:21:54 pm Christian Heimes wrote:
> Barry Warsaw schrieb:
> > This is exactly what I'm thinking about!
>
> -1
>
> A technical solution never solves a social problem. It's just going
> to cause more social and technical problems.

That's certainly not true. The social problem of people throwing
their "night soil" out into the streets had a technical solution,
namely sewerage systems. Or if you prefer a more computer-related
example, the social problem of having people on a shared computer have
access to files you don't want them to have access to is solved by the
technical solution of file permissions and ACLs.

I have no opinion on this specific problem, but it is equally fallacious
to say that social problems_never_ have technical solutions as it is to
say that they _always_ have technical solutions.

--
Steven D'Aprano