[Python-Dev] Invitation to try out open source code review tool

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Sun May 4 20:24:24 CEST 2008

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:58 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> >  Personally, I would consider the following sufficient:
> >
> >  1) people who have authenticated themselves against the underlying VCS
> (i.e.
> >  project members) may post public comments and comment on other comments
>
> Tell me how to authenticate against a SVN project using HTTP only.
>
> >  2) anonymous users can post comments that won't become publicly visible
> until
> >  an authenticated user acknowledges them or comments on them.
>
> Can you work out this design more? I don't understand how an
> authenticated user can acknowledge an anonymous comment if it isn't
> publicly visible. Also, AFAIK our bug tracker doesn't support
> anonymous comments either, so I don't think this is an important use
> case.

Rather than svn authentication i suggest just piggybacking on top of the bug
trackers authentication.  that is an integration i think we should aim for
anyways and it should keep the no-google-account fear mongers happy.  code
comments (as bug comments are today) should not require svn commit access.

anyways, i expect someone else may implement that once the code is out
there.

-gps