[Python-Dev] Detecting 64bit Windows (was RE: Reminder: last alphas next Wednesday 07-May-2008)

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sat May 3 02:27:42 CEST 2008

> > OK - I'll make a patch for this tomorrow (unless someone pipes up
> > suggesting it's not a great idea, or that ctypes should be used, etc)
>
> I'd like to pipe that up.

I thought you might.

> It sounds like clutter of the sys module to
> me.

Fair enough - but no more than getwindowsversion IMO (and it seems it would
be used in similar situations to getwindowsversion, in terms of wanting to
know fundamental characteristics of the OS.)  But I don't personally care -
although I added this to pywin32 some time ago, I decided to wait for
someone else to request it before submitting it for inclusion in the core.

> Isn't there some environment variable you can look at?
> Some registry key?

Not that I'm aware of.

I've uploaded my patch as http://bugs.python.org/issue2745, and I've taken
the liberty of adding you to the nosy list, incase you wish to reject it
outright (but I'm likely to assume silence for a few weeks on a tracker
issue means no serious objections - at least none so serious they can't be
rectified by reverting the change)

Cheers,

Mark