[Python-Dev] Detecting 64bit Windows (was RE: Reminder: last alphas next Wednesday 07-May-2008)

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Fri May 2 11:06:22 CEST 2008

-On [20080502 10:46], Mark Hammond (mhammond at skippinet.com.au) wrote:
>OK - I'll make a patch for this tomorrow (unless someone pipes up
>suggesting it's not a great idea, or that ctypes should be used, etc)

Thanks. I am sure something like that might come in handy for our
Python-using games developers. And other developers too. ;)

>From the above, it's not clear what problem you have other than arranging
>for setuptools to select the correct binaries and generate an egg with a
>distinction in the filename.  Ie, why isn't platform.architecture() (or
>possibly distutils.util.get_platform) adequate to have setuptools "do the
>right thing" in your examples?  Unfortunately though, I don't know enough
>about setuptools to suggest how this might happen.

Sorry, my bad, yes, the platform.architecture() is helpful, the only problem
is that I'd rather settle for a sort of standardized nomenclature for this.
Both platforms use the win32 API, so would Windows XP be win32-32 and x64 be
win32-64 or something like that?

>If you go this route, please followup on the distutils list (I must have
>missed your message there while I was on vacation)

Will do, since there is another issue that makes using setuptools on 64-bits
Windows non-working, at least where it concerns easy_install.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
The taller the bamboo grows, the lower it bends. - Chinese saying