[Python-Dev] FreeBSD test suite failure -> curses

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Sat Mar 29 18:59:38 CET 2008

-On [20080329 18:37], "Martin v. Löwis" (martin at v.loewis.de) wrote:
>Even if there is a bug in the test or in Python that causes newscr to
>become NULL - why does that not show up in other releases, or on other
>systems?

I have been breaking my head about that as well. But then again it is just
as strange that from a script run it does not coredump whereas running from
the interactive prompt or from the testsuite it does. That should, in
principle, not be much different either.

>Can you debug this and confirm that this call indeed sets newscr to NULL?

Breakpoint 1, 0x283119f8 in setupterm () from /lib/libncursesw.so.6
(gdb) print newscr
$1 = 0
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
Breakpoint 1, 0x283119f8 in setupterm () from /lib/libncursesw.so.6
(gdb) print newscr
$2 = 0
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
Hardware access (read/write) watchpoint 2:
    {<data variable, no debug info>} 674382472
Value = 0
0x2836e102 in PyCurses_getsyx (self=0x0)
    at /usr/home/asmodai/projects/python/Modules/_cursesmodule.c:1770
1770      getsyx(y, x);
(gdb) print newscr
$3 = (WINDOW *) 0x0

If you have any specific debug guidance, please feel free to give so. :)

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
The superior person uses his mind like a mirror: it accepts all, it
reflects all. It receives, but it does not keep...