[Python-Dev] fixing broken build

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Thu Mar 27 13:13:14 CET 2008

M.-A. Lemburg schrieb:
> I'm not sure why that's necessary, but whenever you change something
> in the compiler, please remember to update the PYC magic.
>
> I'd also suggest that you run a non-debug build of Python to test
> any checkins before committing them. The debug builds change various
> ways the code is built.

Changing the pyc magic isn't required here. Some files were compiled to
bytecode with the wrong flags because I didn't initialize the flags
correctly. I (ab)used a temporary change of the magic to force a
recompilation of bytecode. All build bots are fine again.

I usually don't test the new code with a non-debug build unless a
release is immanent. A full test run already takes a considerable amount
of time (>10 minutes) and debug builds usually catch more errors than
plain builds. I've to draw the line somewhere ...

Christian