[Python-Dev] Decimal(unicode)

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Thu Mar 27 09:46:28 CET 2008

Greg Ewing schrieb:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> I believe the list of incompatibilities and kludges and the subsequent
>> comments in the following file give the gist of the problems:
>> http://svn.python.org/projects/sandbox/trunk/decimal-c/_decimal.c
>
> It sounds like some aspects of the API weren't thought
> through very well when the Python version was designed.
>
> The question now is whether to fix the API design, or
> leave it to become entrenched and lose all hope of
> ever having a fully C-coded implementation.

As Nick said, a drop-in replacement in C isn't feasible

But probably users of decimal won't really care if they have to slightly
adapt their code if they get the speed increase instead.

We had a SOC student working on decimal-c in the past, so it shouldn't be
totally dead. What about this year's SOC?

Georg