[Python-Dev] Proposal: from __future__ import unicode_string_literals

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 13:26:14 CET 2008

On 24/03/2008, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 24/03/2008, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:

>  >  > As I understood it nobody has claimed 2to3 to be perfect either, but
>  >  >  that using 2to3 will also require you to test the code in both
>  >  >  environments, so I don't see how that is a difference.
>  >
>  >  Do you not test the code you distribute under each version of Python
>  >  that you (claim to) support, in any case?
>
> Yes I do. I don't think my text above was unclear on the issue or
>  could be misunderstood in this way.

Your statement "using 2to3 will also require you to test the code in
both environments" seemed to me to say that *not* having to use 2to3
would save you from doing this (as if this were either desirable, or
your current practice).

My apologies if I misread your comment. What *are* you trying to say,
then? It seems that you're saying that using 2to3 doesn't make things
any more complex, but that contradicts your previous argument.

Paul.