[Python-Dev] windows standard [was: PEP 365 (Adding thepkg_resources module)]

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 12:59:16 CET 2008

On 24/03/2008, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>  | If I install python and then separately install Zope, it may or may
>  | not make sense for Zope to be listed separately as a "program" to Add
>  | or Remove.
>
> Neither Paul nor I defined 'add-on', but I would be willing to call
>  Zope/Plone  something more than that, preferably with its own multi-option
>  entry.

Fair comment. I'd agree that Zope/Plone are probably more than an add-on.

Actually, we agree - *if* you accept that my definition of "add-on"
excludes anything you download separately, which has its own installer
- which is what a bdist_wininst exe is.

Of course, conversely, if all Python packages are add-ons (and so have
their own "internal" means of installing - easy_install, for
argument's sake - and listing/uninstalling - the mythical "new"
package manager) then they shouldn't have add/remove program entries
(any more than each MS Office option should). The purist in me says
you can't have it both ways. But practicality says it's not a major
issue (as long as there's *one* option that covers everything, no
matter how it's installed).

Personally, my only concern is having a single tool that can manage
*all* of my non-core Python packages. (One ring to rule them all, and
all that :-)) I have that at the moment, by refusing to use
easy_install and eggs. But it's getting harder to do that, so this
thread, for me, is about finding a better option.

Paul.