[Python-Dev] How we can get rid of eggs for 2.6 and beyond

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Mar 22 16:33:02 CET 2008

At 11:19 AM 3/22/2008 -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>Not exactly.  More like, "package management tool X claims exclusive
>rights to this package".  Python tools would always defer this right
>to the system packager, i.e. a system packager is not obliged to
>respect a Python tool's claim to a file, but not the other way around.
>
>That way, system packaging tools don't need to do anything but mark
>the installed files as belonging to them.

This probably needs to be refined a little.  Exclusive right is too
strong, and it goes against Paul Moore's desire for using a single
tool.  Perhaps instead what it should be is an "uninstall warning"
field that must be displayed to a user if an interactive program is
doing uninstallation, and that a non-interactive program must refuse
to uninstall unless explicitly requested to go ahead.

Unfortunately, a warning message might then need to be localized.  So
this idea still needs some work.